I love this tree "lung" picture as it is so symbolic of life, health, vitality, healing, and breath!
The human body is an amazing healing organism. Our RNA and DNA are constantly repairing. The immune system is a very busy system: searching out breaks and abnormalities in our RNA and DNA, scouting out unwanted micro-organisms in our bodies, repairing cells... the work of the immune system is amazing.
For me to say the word heal in regards to your lungs, I am only telling you what you innately know: Your body is capable of healing any and every challenge it faces.
It is as simple as this.
Now, I will admit, sometimes the immune system is just plain exhausted. When this is the case, healing may have a hard time happening. Healing may not happen. This is the scenario when a person has seriously not taken whole health care of their bodies for years. The body, the immune system, is: worn down, malnourished, and exhausted. It just cannot rise to the occasion and do the healing work necessary.
Let's take a step back and focus on healing, focus on the fact that healing can and will happen!
What heals the lungs?
- Removing all habits that are toxic to the lungs and the body as a whole.
- Working on liver health is essential as the liver is your main organ of detoxification. The liver is involved in all healing and needs to be functioning at top notch health. Burdock is a good liver herb to learn about.
- Add in 100% life giving, whole foods.
- Add in Whole Health Lifestyle choices.
- Add in herbs specific for healing the lungs. (More about this below.)
- Make use of holistic healing modalities* that speak to you:
- Acupuncture or acupressure
- Reiki or any form of energy healing
- Yoga or any form of mind, body, spirit exercise
- Many, many more natural healing arts
Herbs to Heal the Lungs: (These herbs have even more benefits than the few remarks I will make.)
- Mullein helps to strengthen the lungs
- Lungwort promotes lung and respiratory health and clears congestion
- Chaparral for lung detoxification and respiratory health support
- Elecampane clears mucous
- Eucalyptus soothes and promotes respiratory health
- Lobelia (one of my favorite herbs) opens the airways to promote ease of breath and harmonizes the other herbs in a formula to work better
- Osha root increases circulation to the lungs
- Coltsfoot clears mucus and strengthens the lungs
- Licorice root soothes inflamed lung tissue so the immune system can get to work healing and licorice harmonizes the other herbs in a formula to work better
- Thyme is a powerful aid in congestion and a powerful anti-microbial
- Oregano is a decongestant and natural antimicrobial and contains nutrients / anti-oxidants that directly nourish lung cells
- Sage dispels lung congestion and soothes tissues
- Peppermint, and all mints, relax and soothe the respiratory tract making breathing easier
- Plantain soothes irritated mucus membranes, is an anti-microbial and anti-toxin herb
- Echinacea is an immune booster to help fight infection
- Horehound is an expectorant and lung healing herb
- Grindelia flowers are an expectorant and sedative, calming
- Pleurisy root is an expectorant and anti-spasmodic, good for coughs
- Passion flower calms and eases respiration and circulation
- Yerba Santa leaf relieves excess mucus and is used for asthma and all lung conditions
Yerba Mansa root is a mucus membrane tonic, anti-inflammatory, anti-microbial, stimulates circulation and relief of lung congestion
- Ginger root warms the body increasing circulation and loosening mucus
That's a lot of herbs to heal the lungs!
So my interest in lungs and healing? Well, I am interested in healing the body... the lungs are part of this glorious organism.
My youngest son, Eli, was born 3 months early. It was a long haul in the neo-natal intensive care unit before he could come home, in my arms, 3 months later. Because of his pre-maturity, his lungs did not fully develop. He had respiratory distress syndrome and came home with severe asthma.
The first few years were rough and tough. A cold or the flu was seriously hard on his lungs (and his Mom!) and made the viral illness hang in longer than it would in a non-asthmatic person.
I used 2 herbal formulas to heal his lungs. I chose to not use any of the prescription medications or respiratory treatments prescribed: steroids, asthma drugs, inhalers, or nebulizers breathing treatments.
The Lung tonic is taken daily to heal chronic lung conditions. Asthma is one of these. I keep it on hand, at my Hands On Health Healing business, for clients with Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD), Emphysema, Asthma, and other chronic lung conditions.
The Respiratonic is used in acute moments: "I cannot breathe right now!" It helps to open the airways and ease breathing. I kept this handy when Eli had a cold or the flu. I keep a supply, at my business, for clients with lung conditions.
I also used a lobelia tincture with Eli. Lobelia is also for acute, "I can NOT breathe" moments. It works very quickly to open up the airways and ease the tightness of asthma and lung breathing conditions. I kept this next to my bed, in my purse, and in the kitchen. There were many times, when Eli was young, that he needed it now. When he was an infant, I carried it in the front pack or sling that I was carrying him in.
By the time Eli was 5, the asthma was almost completely healed. By 7 years of age, it was essentially gone. I continue to give him the Lung Tonic, from time to time, just to add in healing nourishment for his lungs. I usually give him 2 daily over the hardest winter months. He is 12 now and his asthma is healed.
Got lung health and healing concerns? Looking for a more natural approach? Give me a shout, I would love to support you on your healing journey.
Sending healing love, Paula
* Please feel free to contact me, I would be happy to help you find practitioners in the area who work with Plant Spirit Medicine, Massage, Shamanism, Acupressure, Yoga, Tae Kwon Do, and many more healing arts, to help you on your healing path.