Healing oneself takes an individual's active participation in the process. This participation can be physical (body), emotional (mind), or spirit work. Often times, all three woven together into a beautiful Self-Healing tapestry is your healing magic in action.
We live is a culture that generally works from a space of passive health care.
One western medicine scenario:
- Visit your practitioner.
- Explain your symptoms, issues, challenges.
- Have a prescription handed to you.
- Go home and take your pills.
Rarely does a western medical practitoner ask you to participate in the process of regaining your health. Drugs and surgery do not get at what is causing your health crisis. Drugs cover up the symptoms. Surgery removes the damaged organs but never opens up space to determine why this organ is in a state of dis-ease and how can I change my habits to reverse the damage that has been done? What is actually causing the symptoms usually continues in a person's life because no one asks us to take a hard look at what made us arrive at this space of ill health. When we do take this hard look, unravel the causes that led to the problem, we can then start working in reverse to remove the problems and recover health.
Examples of the "You don't have to do anything active about your health problems" scenarios:
- High blood pressure: just take this pill and it will bring your blood pressure down.
- Type 2 Diabetes: again, take this pill and continue doing what you have been doing. Until, of course, your diabetes get worse and now you need to... inject yourself with insulin at least once daily.
- Joint problems: take this pill, come on in for a replacement... keep eating and drinking all you have been because like the problems above... these problems are not your fault. You know, it's just bad genes. Take this pill and call it a day.
I could go on & on... PMS, menstrual irregularities, infertility, arthritis, auto-immune disorders, cancer... Nothing you eat, drink, or do in your life has anything to do with the presence of this health problem in your life.
Or so we are led to believe by mainstream media, mainstream medicine, and mainstream agriculture.
Active Participation in your health and healing means taking ownership of your lifestyle habits; true Lifestyle Medicine. Lifestyle Medicine is Active Medicine. You are asked and required to take a participatory role in your health and healing. You are invited to make changes towards whole health eating and whole health living that will ultimately repair your body cells.
- How has the food I have been eating over the course of my life impacted my body's cellular health? (Unhealthy cells mean an unhealthy body.)
- How are my daily lifestyle habits impacting my health, my display of symptoms?
- How is my body weight affecting my heart, blood pressure, diabetes, joints, back problems, and overall health?
It is time for your health care providers to invite you and inspire you (that is right, health care professionals who activley participate in their own well being and are good role models of real health). Your health cae providers need to be asking you questions:
"Stand up people. Take a hard look. Where can you change habits that have contributed to this crisis in your health? What can you do to actively return your body to vibrant, vital health?"
Trust me, return to health is a reality. You just need to get active about the process. Invite healing support into your life:
- Lifestyle medicine professionals (think Functional Medicine, Functional Nutrition, Naturopathic Medicine, Holistic Health Coach)
- Shamanic Care
- Chiropractic Care
- Spiritual Counselor
- Osteopath who practices lifestyle medicine
So where does preventative health care fit into this?
There is a difference between mainstream medicine's view of preventative health care and "holistic - whole health care - lifestyle medicine's" idea of preventative health care.
Mainstream's Idea of Prevention - Whole Health Care's Prevention (Lifestyle Medicine)
- mammogram whole foods
- colonoscopy deep, restful sleep
- cholesterol screening maintain healthy weight
- prostate exam yoga, meditation mindfulness
- bone scan moving the body daily
- vaccines immune building lifestyle habits
- diabetes screening good posture
- blood pressure screenings hydration with pure water (no chlorine and fluoride)
Natural health habits are preventative health care; TRUE preventative health care.
The "get your annual mammogram, colonoscopy, cholesterol screening type of prevention" (which often leads to your lifetime pharmaceutical prescriptions) does not actually prevent anything but instead is an early detection tool so your symptoms of dis-ease can be treated, managed, for the rest of your life. This is management of disease through management of disease symptoms.
Healing, active medicine, needs to be part of this equation.
Active Health Care is about real preventative health care... choosing lifestyle habits that build amazing cellular health & vitality so you truly prevent dis-ease from ever darkening your doorstep and actually knocking on your door.
If disease symptoms are already part of your life, Active Health Care invites you to heal your symptoms of disease.
I invite you to become an active part of your own healing team AND I will do my best to educate you and inspire you (be a healthy role model) towards whole health choices and self healing!
Join me at 5 Elements Living for
3 Class overview
• March 27th: Eating for Cellular Health
• April 3rd: Natural Food Know How
• April 10th: Wise Woman Nurse "Movement Magic"
for Digestive Health & Herbs for Gut Health
Monday Evenings 6-8 PM