Subtitle: The Gift of Chronic Reflux
Yes, you have read that correctly. I am grateful for the gift of reflux in my life.
*Energetically, reflux has made me question why I don’t speak my truth, with love and kindness, of course. I have learned to stop stuffing my words, stop being the good girl who doesn’t make waves or upset others because my views may be different. Unspoken truth builds like a skin boil in the gut until eruption, reflux, is its only outlet.
Physically, reflux has been a gift to the process of aging. As women’s bodies age, we need less food energy to keep us going. We no longer ovulate and prep the uterus for potential pregnancy and childbearing each month. This cuts down on the energy we burn, metabolically, and therefore we need to throw less fuel into the fire. Having reflux has been a gift to this aging process.
Yup, no “good” or “bad” labels. Just gratitude for everything.
Over the years, my whole health physical care has done well to prevent reflux and sweetly enough… the sometimes inevitable weight gain women experience post menopause.
So what do I do differently because of this reflux issue?
1. Small Meals: not the promoted 5-6 times a day, eat small snack BullShit. That’s a constant grind in the digestive tract, no rest, and exacerbates reflux. Eat your 3 meals, small to moderate, and be done with it.
2. No sugar: refined carbohydrates disrupt gut health and get the reflux rolling.
3. No processed refined foods: see above.
4. Make mealtime yoga time: Relax. Chew well. Peace out. Relaxed eating supports good flow of hydrochloric acid in the stomach for good digestion (chewing supports flow of all digestive juices: stomach, liver, pancreas, etc.). Lots of hydrochloric acid IS needed for proper digestion. You want this. You do not want to suppress hydrochloric acid with prescription drugs.
5. Not hungry: don’t eat. I suppose this one should be titled: listen to your body & use your common sense. With so many current rules around food, people have stopped thinking for themselves. Listen to your body. Think for yourself.
7. More Reflux Info is here on the PDF file I put together for your Self-Healing.
*Energetically: This is emotional & spiritual stuff
**Auto-immunity class (June 5th at Five Elements Living, Colton, NY) is all about healing the gut and could be titled: The Science Of Functional Medicine’s Heal Your Gut Health