I have praised the virtues of wild yam before. I am writing to remind you how this blessed, natural plant can help to re-balance your menstrual cycles and female reproductive health.
Things wild yam can do for your fantastic female body: (Men, pass this along to your lady friends, they may just thank you!)
Wild Yams Virtues:
- end menstrual migraines: those pesky migraines that come on when hormones shift with your cycles, say around ovulation and/or around when your moon flow starts,
- helps to bring your menstrual cycle into a more regular rhythm,
- eases PMS,
- lessens cramping at the beginning of your moon flow (will ease cramping post child birthing too!),
- got heavy bleeding issues... wild yam will slow that funky stuff down. My flow became sporadically heavy after I turned 40. Wild yam doses daily and my period is a light flow and no more unexpected "gushes" in public soaking through every piece of clothing! Grateful that issue is finished in my life,
- low doses increase fertility, high doses create a birth control effect (without the nasty side effects of synthetic hormones and putting yourself at risk for birth control induced breast cancer, etc.),
- traditionally used to treat threatened miscarriage with uterine contractions present, combined with Cramp bark, Black Haw, or False Unicorn,
- increases the flow of Chi, Life Force Energy, to your reproductive tract. This is a good thing, energy brings healing,
- traditionally used to ease nausea and vomiting in pregnancy*,
- eases menopausal symptoms,
- Got PCOS? Try wild yam...,
- wild yam is anti-inflammatory and is used for many inflammatory conditions such as arthritis, inflammatory bowel diseases, gall bladder disease, muscle cramps, spasmodic asthma, intestinal cramps, endometriosis, etc.
Wild yam is amazing, on its own, and in combination with other female healing herbs: Stinging nettles, cramp bark, red raspberry leaf, Cramp bark, Black haw, False unicorn, motherwort, black and blue cohoshes.... to name just a few amazing, healing female herbs!
(*Make certain you get help from a skilled herbalist when using herbs during pregnancy. Keep in mind that herbs are safe, whole foods for our bodies!)
Got Heavy Bleeding? Get Wild Yam!
Heavy bleeding, menorrhagia, is common in early menstruating years, in peri-menopause, and at times when hormones are fluctuating and unbalanced.
(There are a whole host of medical problems that can precipitate menorrhagia but I will stick to simple, hormonal imbalances here.)
Western medicine's answer to the problem is to regulate a females cycle using synthetic hormones. Often times this means prescribing birth control pills to teenagers (women of all ages, really) to regulate their cycles. A teen's body just started to function in a menstruating way; do we really expect it to function perfectly from the beginning? Should we not let her body settle into what will be normal for her?
When menstrual symptoms persist, I urge females to turn to nature for help.
Getting to the root causes of a female's heavy bleeding, not covering it up with a synthetic hormone prescription, supports the whole body's health and healing.
Actions to take:
1. 100% whole food diet - When we feed our bodies whole food, as nature gave them to us, our bodies respond with vibrant health. This means all physiological processes function as they were meant to. This means balanced hormonal health and reproductive cycles.
2. Outdoor exercise, fresh air, and natural light - all three are essential for the optimum function of your body. Go now: get your boots, sneakers, or flip flops on (depending on where you live on this beautiful planet) and get outside. Your ovaries, your whole body, will thank you. Get natural sun light and moon light. Natural light regulates your hormones. Nature is amazing. You are nature.
3. Sleep - Your body functions best with plenty of sleep, preferably before 10 PM. This ensures the best natural rhythms of the body. Human body rhythms follow nature's rhythms because we are nature.
4. A balanced body weight for you. This means taking into consideration your body size, shape, bone structure, etc. Adipose tissue produces estrogen and can contribute to hormone imbalances and estrogen dominance, in women. Maintaining a healthy body weight / body composition supports the female body from having heavy menstural flow.
5. Herbs: There are many herbs that work to balance the female reproductive organs, hormones, cycle... Herbs are food that feed the body cells, nourish your whole body, mind, and soul. You can take herbs in multi-herb formulas or in single herb healing medicines, depending on what you are trying to nourish and heal.
The below company, Living Earth, is the one I have used, personally and for client's health and healing needs. I trust this company and their product. Click on image below to visit the company that offers this female balancing herb. Need help, ask.
Blessing of good health, Paula
Fry the Inside of My Uterus?
Ablation is defined as removal of material from the surface of an object by vaporization, chipping, or other erosive processes. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ablation). This definition alone, erosive processes??, would make me shudder and stop to think about what was being recommended for my body, my precious uterus.
“Stop your heavy period and restore your life” is NovaSure’s advertising hype for uterine ablation. Wow, my life needs restoring because I bleed? Really?
The opening paragraph on the NovaSure’s website is a scary Patriarchal MindSet, PMS as Wise Woman Susun Weed aptly calls it.
Heavy bleeding is a symptom that there is an imbalance in a woman’s body. Eroding the endometrium will not heal this imbalance. Correcting the imbalance will heal the heavy bleeding and prevent more complex female health problems down the road of life.
Address the cause not the symptoms.
I would look at the woman’s diet and lifestyle to unravel the causes of her heavy bleeding symptoms. I would suggest diet and lifestyle changes that were fitting to her unique, individual needs. I would recommend herbs (wild yam to start) to assist in healing the imbalances in her whole body. How about easing stress to prevent the cortisol steal that creates female hormonal imbalances?
These lifestyle medicine healing choices make more sense to me than burning away the endometrium, the uterine lining.
I am an RN and Holistic Health Educator Healing support person. I worked in Maternal Child Nursing for 12 years before leaving to focus on Wise Women centered care; holistic health education, and healing support.
I first heard of this uterine ablation while sitting at my healing table working with a beautiful female soul. She told me she had this procedure 10 years prior, at age 32! I then gently said, “Wait, what? Please explain that to me again.” I was shocked to say the least but maintained my compassionate energy.
When I removed myself from standard medical care, I lost track of new procedures created to “solve women’s issues.” Consequently, I am paying attention again, not to recommend the procedures, but to support women in healing and avoiding such body altering procedures.
Not wanting to make her feel bad for her choice; I opened my ears, heart, and soul and listened to her story. I was amazed and frustrated at how she was convinced that burning away the inside of her uterus, the endometrium, was just the thing she needed to do to solve all her womanly problems.
I have since heard this story, many times over, and it breaks my heart. Red tents are needed in every community to remind women of the wisdom of their own body, to listen and hear what the symptoms of heavy bleeding are struggling to tell them.
When will our culture stop viewing menstrual flow as "The Curse," something to hide and be ashamed of. When will we once again embrace the life-giving energy that women's moon flow is. Menstruation creates the miracle of reproduction... how we all are here!
My wish is to be able to support women in these situations. By sitting with them, listening to their “her-stories,” and helping them to unravel the causes of the menstrual symptoms. The body will heal when we remove the cause(s) of the health symptoms and nourish the body back to health with nourishing, Wise Woman supported, life-giving choices. Lifestyle changes centered on whole food eating, whole health living (lifestyle medicine), and herbs to nourish and heal the woman’s beautiful female organs and her entire body, every cell in her body, would be how I would create a Red Tent for every woman I am blessed to support on their healing paths.