Wild Leek, Herb, & Local Veggie Soup
Simple and took me about 20 minutes to make, including the cleaning time for the wild leeks.
Early in the day I put out to thaw about 1 1/2 cups of each of these frozen veggies from my winter veggie CSA :
- red, orange, and yellow pepper pieces
- orange cherry tomatoes
I brought 4 1/2 to 5 cups to a boil and poured into my Vita Mix blender.
Add the white parts, set green leafy tops aside for later, of 15 or so wild leeks and blend into a puree.
To the Vita Mix liquid add:
handful of fresh rosemary sprigs from the window sill herb pot
handfuls of sage & oregano and the leaves off a long sprig (5-6 inches) of thyme - all herbs in the garden that are up and ready for use
Blend all this green stuff into the wild leek liquid.
Pour green liquid back into pot on the stove. Do not turn on heat again
Add in the completely thawed veggies and 1/4 to 1/2 tsp. unrefined sea salt.
Cover pot and leave until dinner time. I made it about 1 1/2 hours before dinner so the flavors could meld together for a short while.
Tomorrow night I will add a can of organic chickpeas to the leftovers to change it just a little bit.
Optional add ins:
- fresh chives scattered across the top after you ladle into the soup bowls.
- garlic chives blended into the broth.
- any fresh herbs you have in the garden. I have parsley but I did not want to disturb the small patch this early in the season.
- fresh, tender dandelion greens.
- wild violet leaves from the yard?
- harvest wild violet flowers just before serving and sprinkle across the top with the chopped chives. Violets add in some awesome, local Vitamin C for spring rejuvenation!
- I would have added frozen sweet corn kernels and cauliflower pieces but I seemed to have used all of those frozen CSA goodies.
Serve with whole grain bread, butter, & cheese. If you are lucky, and we were, serve up a local baby green salad. Spring pleasure food!
Grab what you have on hand and create a simple spring soup to enjoy in this untimely hot weather! Share what you threw together and tell us if it was yummy!