Why make my own?
Commercial almond milk has very few almonds per cup of the "milk." Making your own creates a more almond packed milk with higher protein and healthy fats for your beautiful body cells. See below for even more body and environmental friendly reasons to Make Your Own.
On the evening before:
- Put 1 cup of almonds into 1 quart of water and cover. I use a 1/2 gallon Ball canning jar.
- Shake jar whenever you pass by it until going to bed.
- Pour into blender and blend on high until the almonds are decimated. A high powered blender or Vita-Mix works very well.
- Pour back into jar and chill.
There is no need to strain the "meal" out of the almond milk, just shake the jar well before you use it and realize there will be some almond meal in your liquid. This is a good thing: fiber and you are using the whole food!
- Add vanilla to the finished, blended almond milk. I would use about 1 1/2 tsp. per the 5 cups you just blended.
- Add sweetener. Go easy on the "sweet" and your adrenal glands will thank you. Choose whole sweeteners: local-raw honey, sucanat sugar, local maple syrup, etc.
- Add cocoa powder, to taste, and make chocolate almond milk.
Positive impact you create when making your own food at home:
- No cartons to throw away making a bigger mess of the earth.
- No added "crap" from the manufacturing process. Trust me, they are always adding something that was not meant to be in our bodies!
- No foil lined boxes. Tell me that "stuff" does not leach harmful things into food... I won't belief it!
- You are using and eating the whole almond... good for your cellular health.
- The manufacturing of any packaged food is energy intensive, water intensive, and petro intensive. Think how many miles the raw ingredients are shipped, the materials for making the box, then the finished box is shipped all over the country, and then the finished box full of almond milk is shipped all over the country! When you really start following the path of any and all manufactured food... it gets very scary!