Snake Oil, urbandictionary.com, comes from the 19th-century American practice of selling cure-all elixirs in traveling medicine shows. Snake oil salesmen would falsely claim that the potions would cure any ailment.
Snake oil, wikipedia.com, is an expression that originally referred to unproven medicine.
I made this bold statement, the blog post title, with a big chuckle and a twinkle in my eye. Snake oil is such a fun pairing of words! My making the statement that Yoga is snake oil is only in fun as Yoga IS now being recognized for the amazing healing modality; the healing tool that it is. India has been aware of and using Yoga as a healing tool for somewhere between five and ten thousand years. Yoga has a long history of healing body, mind, and spirit!
I started my yoga practice over 20 years ago. I was not looking for healing; I was looking for change. I had been lifting weights and running for too many years. I was bored of the same old, same old. I wanted something new, something challenging to mind and body. Little did I know I would be challenging my spirit as well!
Yoga builds strength in body, mind, and soul. Yoga is a great way to keep the body physically toned, flexible, and fit. While all of this physical transformation is going on, seeds for deep inner transformation are being planted. The very act of deep breathing through and with your body movements creates a gentle binding of body, mind, and spirit. This creation of the whole is the healing transformation.
My first Yoga pose book. I borrowed it from the Potsdam Library, 17 years ago. This is my library copy; an Amazon purchase of some library's throw away book.
Another book I have used for years to share healing Yoga poses series with clients is:
This book has healing Yoga sequences for every ill health issue you can imagine. There is a lot of prop use. I do the poses as close to the pictures as possible.
A new Yoga book I picked up in the last year has become another favorite of mine:
Tera's pose series are simple and easy to incorporate into a busy life.
Yoga is a valuable tool to place (and actively use every day) in your holistic toolbox for healing body, mind, and soul.
I will give you 6 simple reasons that yoga IS what you have been looking for, a tool to take you to the next level on your personal path of healing.
- Your body will respond physically to the beauty of yoga. Your muscles, bones, tendons, and ligaments will become longer, stronger, and physically fit. Stick with yoga; you will see the results in your mirror!
- You will intuitively move towards healthier choices in your life. Around food, this is a healing event! Your food choices will become healthier, whole foods. Your body will respond by balancing your weight into a healthy space for you.
- Your mind will become calm. The breath awareness, on the mat yoga poses, will follow you off the mat. A calm, centered, grounded life is the benefit. Bonus: you will sleep better and move through your day in bliss!
- Your body will be in the flow of life. Your Chi life force energy flows, unimpeded, when you regularly practice yoga. This healing energy, flowing freely through your body, helps to heal ill health symptoms. Your body heals!
- Better circulation of blood (not just Chi life force!). This means heightened nourishment of your body’s cells and more efficient removal of cellular waste. Every organ will function better as your cells glow with vibrant health. Results: higher level of thoughts, your intelligence will shine, intuition flows, creativity sparks, and your spirit soars.
- Yoga is Movement Magic! In a world where much sitting happens, Yoga is a gift of movement, flexibility, and balance.
Truly, I could go on and on about the benefits of yoga. My purpose here is to quickly entice you to engage in a daily yoga practice; even 10 to 15 minutes a day. With a regular yoga practice, the benefits become obvious and you will yearn for more.
Yoga IS an answer to your mind, body, and soul’s healing prayers! Your personal healing snake oil!