Because so many of you asked
for this... here it is!
Whole Food Carrot Cake
3/4 cup buttermilk (I used raw goats milk soured with 1 tbsp. raw apple cider vinegar)
3/4 cup butter from grass fed cows
3/4 cup sucanat sugar
3 tsp. vanilla
3 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. unrefined sea salt
2 cups whole grain flour (oat, spelt... whatever you please)
2 tsp. baking soda
2 tsp. baking powder
2 cups shredded carrots
1 cup shredded coconut
1 cup finely chopped walnuts
1 cup raisins
1 - 8 oz can pineapple with natural juice, no added sugar (I used the organic canned pineapple from the Coop, it is a 14 oz can. I will use the whole can the next time I make this yummy cake)
(All ingredients organic and naturally raised)
Preheat oven to 350 F.
1. Soak the cup of raisins in the pineapple juice.
2. Beat eggs, then beat in buttermilk and butter. I gently heat the butter to melt it.
3. Blend in sugar, vanilla and cinnamon.
4. Mix in flour, b. soda, b. powder, and salt.
5. Shred carrots on a cheese grater and blend into batter.
6. Add coconut and walnuts.
7. Chop pineapple pieces in blender to a puree and mix into batter.
8. Add raisins and the pineapple juice and mix in well.
9. Butter two 8" round cake pans, divide batter evenly between two pans
10. Bake for 30-40 minutes, until cakes is pulling from edge of pans and knife inserted in center comes out clean.
Allow to cool until just warm and turn out on cooling racks. When completely cool, frost the bottom layer, add the top layer and frost top and sides completely.
Organic heavy cream, two 8 oz containers
Organic Neufchatel Cheese, one 8 oz package
2 - 4 tbsp. dark maple syrup
1 tbsp. vanilla
Put all ingredients in a mixing bowl and use an electric hand mixer to whip into frosting consistency.
Enjoy this super yummy cake for breakfast, lunch, or dinner! Paula